...to the new ABPnews.com!
In our efforts to "serve Christ by providing credible and compelling information about matters of faith," we have designed the new ABPnews site to inform, inspire and engage our readers. Learn more about our mission, vision and imperatives.
ABPnews is indebted to the Eula Mae and John Baugh Foundation for a generous grant that made this website project possible.
Our new site is more user-focused. It has been designed to be logical and intuitive, so it should be easy to find your way around.
We have organized the content in new ways. News and opinion are clearly demarcated. News appears in the main column and is categorized in subcategories under the three main menu items of "Culture," "Faith" and "Ministry." All opinion content – our columns and commentary articles – appears in the second column.
Here are some new features you won't want to miss:
- Classifieds– information about open ministry positions, national and regional events and personal and professional transitions within the Baptist family (new jobs, births, deaths, other announcements).
- Baptist Newswire- a press release service from related organizations in the Baptist network.
- Opinion Landing Pages. Our columnists' most recent articles appear on the home page. You can read previously published columns on the Columnists landing page. Likewise, older commentaries from our growing list of frequent and occasional contributors are available on the Commentaries landing page.
- New Voice Media - ABPnews collaborates with our regional news partners (Baptist Standard, Religious Herald, and Word&Way) to produce bimonthly news packages around a given theme. Headlines from the latest package of articles are displayed in a rotator at the bottom of the main column on the home page.
- Most Read - This new module on our home page tracks news and opinion articles that receive the most clicks from users. The list is automatically updated every day.
- Story Ticker - At the top of the home page is a rotating "ticker" that displays headline links to the most recent stories added to our three main categories (Culture, Faith and Ministry).
- Subscribe options - You now have multiple ways to "subscribe" to our website. Check out the icons in the narrow, right-hand column on the home page: Facebook, Twitter, RSS Feed, and Email.
- RSS Feeds - If you like to view our site through an RSS Feed, now you can customize the ABPnews content you receive.
- Widgets - Share ABPnews on your own website! You can get special coding from our site to add an ABPnews logo with a customized feed of our news stories to your church or organization website.
ABPnews is now optimized for all mobile devices, from your iPad or other tablet to your smart phone. So, go ahead and visit our site from your mobile device or tablet. You'll find our new site is "on-the-go" friendly!
We also have the new ABPnews Blog with new entries every day from over 30 contributors. Be sure to check it out!
Missing articles older than January 2012?
We have re-categorized all news stories published since Jan. 1, 2012 into "Culture, Faith, and Ministry" as well as sub-categories of "Media & Arts, Politics, Social Issues," "History, Missions, Theology," and "Congregations, Organizations, People," respectively. Also, every article has been tagged with additional topics to make them even easier to find.
However, due to the enormous volume of articles on our old site, we have not yet categorize articles older than January 1, 2012, into this new system. This means, for example, when you click on "history" you will only find articles written in 2012. All older articles still exist on our site; you just have to use the search option or look in archives. The good news is that our search engine has been improved dramatically, so you should be able to readily find what you're looking for.
What happened to the comments?
to see if this is possible.
We encourage reader feedback and conversation with other readers through a robust online community. All contributors must adhere to our comments policy. You can set up a profile when you click on the "comment" option within an article.
Why is the author's list of articles so short?
As we continue to wade through years of opinion content, we will correctly match the article's author to her or his author page. In the meantime, you may find a deceptively short list attributed to any given author. To access previous articles, just search for the writer's name in quotes (for example "Bob Allen").
We will also work with our authors to provide a more thorough bio, updated photo and contact information.
Where are all the photos?
We are working to return original photos to all stories, complete with captions and attributions. We also are working to return the byline to all articles (the author is identified at the bottom of the article).
Where is the "home" button?
To return to the home page from any page on the site, just click on the ABPnews logo.
How can I offer feedback?
As you learn our new site, we'd love to hear from you! Send us a note on Facebook, tweet us your thoughts or drop us an email.